Tuesday, January 16, 2007

It's official, I'm a rebel.

Yes, that's right. I'm not in the line at Wal-Mart behind 200 pubescent others waiting feverishly for my copy of The Burning Crusade, the next installment and must-have expansion for the World of Warcraft. Was I tempted to get in my car and go get my copy RFN*? Sure. A little. But my practical side kicked in. I have gift cards to use at Best Buy. Of COURSE they'll have copies tomorrow, Wednesday, Thursday, etc. Of COURSE they won't be sold out. After all, it's not a Nintendo Wii or Playstation 3. People are DYING to get their hands on one of those.

We seem to know how to stock the shelves with software, after all. Hardware, that's another story.

I suppose I could try to get the expansion for $10 cheaper too, and pick it up at Fry's. But then I'd be without a manual, game key, game media, or some other essential item that a forward-thinking Fry's employee has already surreptitiously taken home and listed on eBay for a bargain price.

So yeah, call me a rebel, but I'm not rushing out just yet. I'll wait it out a couple days, maybe pick it up over the weekend. I think a few years ago I'd have been at the back of that line, shuffling along with my ankles in shackles, waiting to receive my ladleful of digital gruel with the rest of the inmates, but here I am, being all pragmatic and stuff. Likely for the same reason I'm not using my $100 worth of Best Buy gift cards to buy this badass Samsung 22" widescreen LCD panel, instead convincing myself that I'll just be better off buying the Acer equivalent, which is $70 cheaper and seems to have a better contrast ratio but a crappier stand. I realize that I could run into Best Buy tomorrow and pick up the Samsung and I'd get immediate gratification, but using $100 of free money to save only $30 over a similar product doesn't seem to make sense to me. I guess it would be too much to ask that Best Buy carry a better assortment of products. - Or that newegg accept Best Buy gift cards for payment :)

Today I worked from home, due to "inclement weather". And by inclement weather I mean below freezing, with precipitation. An everyday occurrence this time of year for about 30% of the world but for some reason here in North Texas, we can't quite cope with it. It happens at some point pretty much every year yet it's always impressively devastating, with people sliding all over the place, slamming on brakes and bouncing off of each other while sliding gracefully over a slick overpass. There's always the amusing images on TV of the guy who can't figure out why flooring the gas in his unladen rear-wheel-drive pickup truck doesn't seem to be moving him in a forward direction. "Maybe the wheels aren't spinning fast enough, how can I apply more gas?"

...I just hope tomorrow is equally as devastating. I could actually get to like this working from home business :)


* Right F***in' Now
Post a Comment